Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Dilemma

I'm sort of having a few dilemma's in my life as of late. I'm not sure what to do about a multitude of things and so, I've done nothing.

Dilemma #1: So we have little Noah on the way. Fantastic! But I'm becoming very concerned about what our financial situation will be once he gets here. I mean my husband has a descent paying job and we do fine with the money he makes with the two of us. I'm afraid, however, that once we throw an expensive baby into the mix things might get too tight. I don't want to go back to work full time because I don't want someone else raising my child 75% of the time. I feel strongly that my place is here with him and any other children that come along. However, I'm not sure what to do to contribute to our income. I've always worked and brought in money and I'm starting to feel like I don't contribute anything and just spend the money. Which brings me to my next dilemma.

Dilemma #2: Am I just kidding myself with my etsy shop? I've been on etsy for over a year now and I do love selling my things there. I really enjoy the fact that others love my work. I originally thought that I would be able to bring in a part-time income with this but I don't really think that's happening. I am really bad at keeping records like how much I'm spending vs how much I'm selling and knowing overall if I'm actually making any money. It has just been fun up until this point. But now I may need to take a serious look and I'm afraid of what I might find. I spend tons of money on supplies and I feel like I never use all of them. But I get tired of them or they become the "old" patterns and I want to run out and buy the "new" papers that have just come out. I know that the simple solution is to stop buying and just use up what I have, but something in me compells me to keep buying the new stuff. So the question has become, do I keep my shop open or do I just close? If I closed then I would certainly spend less money because I wouldn't be buying all these supplies. And I'd get to do my own scrapbooking that is seriously behind. I never scrapbook for myself. But I do love having my shop and going to craft shows. So I'm torn.

I could go on with a few more of my dilemmas but this is getting long so I'll stop for today. I did list two more tins in my shop this morning and I'm crossing my fingers that people are going to recover from the economy shock and start Christmas shopping soon.


2 comments:

Mandi said...

Those are some serious dilemmas! My husband and I are both in school right now, so I understand the whole "money is tight" thing AND not wanting someone else raising your kid. It's hard.

If it makes you feel better, I am in love with your tins, and I just discovered them today! I hearted a couple, and I plan to purchase! What adorable gifts for the grandmas (and one for myself of course)!! Not sure if it will be sooner or closer to Christmas, but you can count on me as a customer! Every little bit helps, right?

Would you like me to do a review on my blog? I'd love to showcase your shop if you're willing! (the my3lilmonkeys blog)

Katie said...

I hear you! Is the Etsy shop working out is a constant discussion I have in my head. Your shop is beautiful and your products very well made. Consider doing a cost analysis and raising your prices if you are not earning anything. Your prices seem very reasonable to me! By all means hang in through the Christmas season.

Kids are expensive and it is a sacrifice to stay home with them but the rewards of being home are worth it if you can swing it. I have worked and stayed home with my kids. Both ways are stressful!